Okay so I came across a recent error after the WordPress 3.5 update. First let me state that I am not sure if this error or bug is related to the WordPress update or if the bug is related to the plugin, either way it took some work to figure it out and I wanted to share my work and solution with you.
After the WordPress 3.5 update I attempted to edit/post content in the back office of WordPress as I normally do however several features in the visual text editor were not functioning. I was unable to edit the permalink, add links to any of the content and I was unable to add media via the ADD MEDIA button. Now of course being a coder I could easily figure out a work around for this but why should I have to?
So I did what most of us do when these types of problems arise…that’s right I Googled it! Google is a great source for working around problems and issues but we seem to get only little snippets of information and never the whole picture. Here I am going to detail the sets I took to fix or debug the error I was having with the visual text editor.
Be sure you have access to your files on the server. I prefer to use Filezilla via FTP access which gives me the detailed view and flexibility to perform the steps below. ALSO BE SURE TO BACK-UP YOUR SITE BEFORE ATTEMPTING TO ACCESS THE FILES ON THE SERVER, IF YOU DO NOT KNOW WHAT YOU ARE DOING CONTACT SOMEONE THAT DOES. WEB DESIGN LOGICS IS NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR ANYTHING DAMAGE YOU MAY CAUSE TO YOUR WEB SITE OR SERVER FILES BY FOLLOWING THESE STEPS.
Connect to your server and locate your “wp-content” folder. Within this folder you will find a folder called “plugins”
Next you want to rename the “plugins” folder to “plugin.hold”. This allows you to keep the content of the folder intact and still troubleshot your issue without having to deactivate each plugin one by one.
Now that the “plugins” folder is more or less deactivated try to update a post by adding a link or attempting to use the ADD MEDIA button. Be sure to refresh the page after you renamed the folder so the new settings will take place. “F5” ought to do the trip. If all the functions of the visual editor are now working we know we are on the right track and the problem is somewhere in the “plugins” folder.
Reverse Step 3 meaning you need to rename the “plugins.hold” folder back to “plugins”. This is going to recreate your visual editor issue, you can verify by refreshing the page and seeing that the visual editor features are not working again.
Via FTP explode the “plugins” folder so you can see and edit the folders within. Here you will see all the plugins you currently have installed with wordpress. It should look something like this.
Now we need to locate the plugin that is causing the error and we are going to do so the same way we did when we renamed the “plugins” folder. To do this we need to rename each separate plugin folder with the extension “.hold” this will disable the plugin allowing you to see if that particular plugin is causing the issue. For example, in the case above we would rename “adrotate” to adrotate.hold” then we would visit the back office, refresh the page and once again attempt to use the features that were not working on the editor before.
Once the conflicting plugin is located it should be renamed to its original folder name and deactivated from the back office of WordPress. At this point you can contact to developer to see if he knows of the reason for the issue or to see if he has a work around for the problem.
In my case it was the plugin “category-sticky-posts” that was causing the error with the visual editor and once I deactivated it through the back office everything was back to normal.
I hope I covered everything here well enough so you were able to follow along if you have any questions feel free to comment below. I will respond to all comments as soon as possible.